Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2012

207 Heaven

Monday was Season Ticket Holder's Exchange Night.  Anthony and I had 10 tickets to exchange, giving us 12 seats in our section.  We invited some friends, one of whom is an avid baseball fan, but has no way to get to the games.  Needless to say, it was a GREAT game and a beautiful night!!  Chiefs took the Pawtucket Red Sox 11-7.  (as of today Chiefs have won 3 of the 4 game home stand - yay!!). 

Our good friend Garry is a Red Sox fan and came all decked out in Red Sox apparrel.  At one point I asked him who he was cheering for.  He said "both teams!"  So funny when the Red Sox picther's name was Mark and the Chiefs batter up's name was Mark.  Garry yelled "strike him out Mark!/hit a home run Mark!" 

Funny to see and hear our guests take on section 207 front row.  Garry, like so many others before him, was impressed with our cool cup holders.  He was thinking that he and his wife could use one of those.  So this is my opportunity to tell the story of how our first cup holder cost $12 at Bed Bath & Beyond.  Something I had been thinking would be nice to have so we wouldn't always have to put our drinks on the floor by our feet.  While shopping one day, Anthony spotted the cup holder, showed it to me and it promptly got deposited into our cart.  One of my best purchases ever!  So you might imagine how excited I was to find one (when I wasn't even looking) on clearance for only $7!!  Now Anthony and I have "his and hers" cupholders.  If you happen to walk by Section 207, you may see 4 cupholders lined up on the rail.  Kinda cool, huh?

A young boy sitting behind us starting chanting Taco! when the K-Man was at bat.  I grabbed my shaker bat and started chanting along with him.  Then Molly grabbed her bat and joined us.  Then, almost all of the people in the 100 level section started chanting - it was pretty cool.  It didn't result in free tacos, but it sure was fun.  We told the chant starter that he did a good job and I think we may have embarrassed him.  (sorry buddy!)

I want to add here that even though we have a great time at the games, it's still not the same without Carlos.  The real Carlos - Carlos Maldonado. 

I also find myself waiting to see Josh Wilkie loosening up, getting ready to come in to finish off the game.  Guess I'll just have to wait a while longer.  At least I have his jersey :)

Garry referred to Section 207 as "207 Heaven."  Molly and I wholehearted agree - that's about as close to home as it gets!!  Good ball, good friends, good times, good stuff!!  Everyone should be so lucky. 

So post-game on the ride home with Tom and Karen, of course the major topic was baseball and Tom remarked on how often the players spit.  I suggested it's akin to a dog lifting it's leg to urinate.  I quickly justified my remark with:  I am NOT comparing players to dogs really, I'm just sayin' - it's the natural order of things...if you play ball - you spit!!!  (as was pointed out by Molly, it could be gum, sunflower seeds or chew).  Spitting might even be somewhat territorial.  And it's a man thing, right?  Moral of that story:  Real men spit ;)

"Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball" ~ Jim Murray

No comments: