Tonight's was a good one. Between Yuneski Maya's pitching and three HR from the Chief's bats, the win was enjoyable. The weather was cool but dry, unlike last night's drizzle.
Corey Brown: didn't do much of anything tonight at the plate, although his fielding was great.
Jim Negrych hit a home run in the third; Xavier Paul hit a 3-run HR in the 4th; and Carlos Maldonado hit a HR in the 7th. Chiefs won 5-1.
Carlos Maldonado waved to us, 1st base coach Jarrett Hoffpauir waved to us, too.
Weird play of the game. the Durham Bulls pitcher was chasing a ball and slid into first base. Unfortunately, the first baseman snagged the ball and got the out.
There's a new character at the park: TV Stevie calls him Peanut Salesman. He sits a couple of rows behind us and delivers strange lines in a staccato, mechanical-sounding voice. He had Anthony cracking up at one point. I have a difficult time understanding him.
Some observations about the new scoreboard:
- The operator keeps playing with color combinations, and one has to wonder what kind of background said operator has. Basic TV production/basic website construction frown on some of what we've seen because the contrast isn't good. I realize we're in the first week of operation, but some combinations are obvious no-nos:
- white numbers on gray background;
- pale blue letters on medium blue background;
- yellow characters on white background.
- The contrasts aren't strong enough. Maven lamented this again tonight.
- Anthony made the same observation tonight that Maven mentioned on Tuesday: Balls, strikes, and errors are very blurry and difficult to read.
- The new games are fun on the board
- Love seeing instant replay.
- Fan cam is interesting
- I don't like the commercials, but I guess it has to be paid for somehow.
- We always know who's at bat -- including a photo of the player
- Sometimes we get "history", other times we get stats. Why can't we have both, the way we did on the old scoreboard? I want to know stolen bases, home runs, batting average plus what the player has done in that game.
- The players should have better pictures take of themselves.