These characters are from the Washington Nationals, but they are not mascots. The Nats' mascot is Screech, a bald eagle. The presidents -- George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt -- are just great fun.
|And they're off! (Entering stadium from old bullpen)|
|I thought Teddy had won, but according to the stadium announcer,|
the winner was "George, by a nose."
The Presidents were very active: running through the stands, getting involved in the between-innings promotions, and dancing with Scooch & Pops during the 7th inning.They were an entertaining distraction from a less-than-riveting game.
I didn't take any decent shots of Tom Jefferson, although he's probably my favorite US President (based on the perfectly silly reason that I loved his character in the musical "1776".) TV Stevie took a lot more photos that he's promised to share with me.
And oh yeah. There was a baseball game happening during all of this.
- Corey Brown was player of Friday's game (as Sandee & I voted)
- We voted for Carlos Rivero as Saturday's player of the game. He started a seventh inning rally that at least got the Chiefs on the board so the score was no longer a humiliating 9-0.
- The jersey raffle featured Brad Peacock's Throwback Thursday jersey.
Other things we've noticed that are different this year:
- No MLB scoreboard in right field. Perhaps the proliferation of smart phones makes it obsolete?
- The ushers have been staying a lot later.
Final score: 9-6. Good effort by the Chiefs, but no cigar.