Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fool Me Twice

Zech Zinicola.

Isn't that a great name? I love good names. In fact, Zech was the Chief's entry in Minor League Baseball's Best Name contest this year. Naturally I voted for him.

And he has beautiful eyes. His picture doesn't do his eyes justice. When I spoke to him on autograph day, I was completely taken by his eyes. I'm going to use those eyes in a book.

Well, Zech's been in the news this week. He's earned himself a 50-game suspension after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse.

A second violation.

I can understand wanting something so badly that you'll do almost anything to achieve it. I empathize with feeling frustrated when all the hard work one has put into something still isn't enough to make it to the big leagues (literally & figuratively).  We all make mistakes. To err is human, and all that. What I don't understand is making the same mistake twice.

If you were caught using an illegal substance once, wouldn't you feel a little . . . worried you might be on the radar for additional random testing? If I were in charge of testing, that's how I would think.

Zech: I hope this is a wake-up call for you. There are better ways to achieve your career goal -- your dreams -- than cheating your way to the top. And performance enhancing drugs are cheating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was for a drug of abuse - synthetic marijuana. NOT performance enhancing. Please correct your post.